How to make a Simple, Ugly and Free Personal Website (SUFPW) 04/22/20
I wanted an online place to keep my writings, notes and code. I didn't want to mess with wordpress, ghost or even a JAMstack site.
- Just HTML
- Easy to Write
- Easy to Edit
- Easy to Upload
- Freeform, I didn't want to be locked into a CMS like wordpress and have to wrestle it later
- Could display code along with markdown and images
- Buy a domain (namecheap works for me)
- Get a free Netlify account
- Create a free netlify site
- Connect your netlify site to your domain
- Download Quiver It's Mac OS only. I'm sure there are Windows alternatives
- Create a site specific notebook (The name of the notebook will be your front page)
- Write, notes, code or whatever
- Export the notebook as HTML
- Drag the folder Quiver exported to the upload box on your netlify site page
You know have a SUFPW!
I am excited about this because it's no-muss, no-fuss. I can easily link to my own posts. Someday I'll outgrow it but for now it's PERFECTO!
I can incorporate github soon enough for backups and even easier deploys. But I did this in like 15 minutes and I can probably use it for at least months of consistent note takeing, writing.